Sunday, February 24, 2013

FGM in the United States



In the beginning of this project, I wasn’t sure how prevalent FGM (or FGC) was in the United States, I knew it was illegal (from basic Google searching), but I was not sure it was an issue. In this article it shows that this is still an issue, especially since girls are being sent back to their native country, where they will receive the operation under poor circumstances. US doctors are faced with a hard decision; either deny the surgery and accept the fact the girls will get “vacation-cutting,” or do the surgery illegally. One doctor, Dr. Doug Diekema, proposed that doctors do a “ritual nick” just to spill a little blood to satisfy the parents. The American Academy of Pediatrics at first supported this idea, but after great fuss they changed their mind. Human activists believe this is just enabling mutilation and a terrible tradition, and is not a good solution.
            As for my opinion, I agree with Dr. Diekema, if the girls are going to be cut anyway there should be a safer, cleaner, and better alternative to “vacation-cutting.” Also, this nick is better than getting Infibulations (completely sewing up the vagina). However, I am concerned about whether or not a family that would consider “vacation-cutting” would think “ritual-nicking” would be equivalent. But I do think this is a good start.
            Additionally, after reading this article I realized that in our American tradition we value religion over culture. Part of that is, I think, religion is connected to a higher power, some sort of God, and should be respected. Where culture is agreed upon to be completely man made, and therefore can be argued and changed more easily. Therefore, when we look at FGM opposed to male circumcision in Judaism, there is a difference, people could say but it’s religious, there is spirituality behind it. Personally, I do not see a difference between FGC’s “ritual-nicking” and male circumcision, both are traditional practices that take a little of the genitalia.
            Finally, when researching I am only finding opposition to FGM, which is frustrating because they all say something like everyone pressures me to do this, or the village would shun me, however, the “village” is not getting media attention in order to defend itself. Even if we believe the practice is “brutal,” “against human rights,” or “a crime against humanity,” I want to know why people continue this practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment